1. Your privacy is important to us
The Institute is bound by the National Privacy Principles.
If at any time The Institute is required by law to release information about you or your organisation, The Institute must cooperate fully.
2. What sort of information does the Institute collect?
The Institute collects personal information about you ('the Information') in the following ways:
- When you register as a student online, register as a candidate, apply to become a member, request certain services or products, or otherwise contact or do business with the Institute.
- Other personal information may be collected from CPE Enrolment forms, telephone calls, faxes, e-mails, letters sent by students, members and other contacts of the Institute and from subscription forms.
3. What happens if you do not provide the information?
If you do not provide the Information required, you may not be able to become a member or you may not be able to receive the information or service you requested by the method you have requested.
4. How is your information used by the Institute?
The Institute collects the Information to provide you with a specific service. For example, we may use the Information you provide us to:
- Process your membership application, process your membership renewal, update your details and profile information or fulfil an order or request for information.
- Process your candidate enrolment application.
- Send you information on relevant Institute services, training and events.
- Send your subscription renewal, voting papers or other information required under the Charter or By-laws.
- Communicate with you on any issues relevant to your membership or transactions with the Institute.
If at any time you receive material that you do not wish to receive, please see “Correcting and Updating Your Profile” below.
5. Who does the Institute disclose personal information to?
The Institute will not sell, rent, trade or otherwise supply to third parties any personal information obtained from you without your consent.
- The Institute will confirm membership of The Institute to members of the public, other professional bodies, and provide contact information to overseas member groups if you are going overseas.
- The Institute will disclose business address and business switchboard telephone number if provided. If you do not wish this information to be disclosed please advise the Institute.
- The Institute will provide only such information as is required to suppliers and business partners to enable a particular service to be fulfilled.
- The Institute develops aggregate (i.e. not individual) reports, which incorporate some of the Information. The reports are for use by our business partners or by the Institute to review statistics or analyse trends. However, these reports do not include any personally identifiable information.
6. How will the Institute keep your personal information secure?
The Institute has security measures designed to protect against the loss, misuse and/or alteration of the Information under its control. These security measures include:
- Firewalls – to prevent the hacking of our database.
- Clauses in employee agreements requiring confidentiality and training on the importance of the Privacy Legislation.
- Appropriate security access to Institute premises.
- The use of passwords for access to database information and the use of security levels within the database to ensure that staff only access the information required to perform their duties.
- Security bins for the disposal of written information
7. Correcting and updating your profile
The Institute gives you the following options for accessing and modifying Information previously provided:
- You may gain access to Information that The Institute has collected about you, by contacting the person named below. We will not charge you for responding to such a request.
- You can change or update personal information online or you can also advise of changes via telephone, fax, email or letter.
- Each year members are notified of the information held on file on their subscription form and can amend that information.
8. Contacting the Institute:
Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia
National Customer Service Centre
GPO Box 9985
Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: 1300 137 322 or International +61 2 9290 5660