Skilled Migration Internship Program (SMIPA)
The Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA) is a professional year program approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) (formerly known as the Department of Immigration and Citizenship), available to overseas students who have an Australian accounting degree qualification as a result of at least two years' study in Australia.
- a minimum of 44 weeks' training, including a 12-week internship placement with a relevant host company
- professional development and practical hands-on learning, with an emphasis on workplace preparation: Culture, ethics and expectations
- recognition as a pathway for 485 visa holders seeking permanent residency under general skilled migration (GSM)
Successful completion of SMIPA may attract additional points under the GSM points test.
SMIPA was developed by Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, CPA Australia and the Institute of Public Accountants. It is delivered by registered providers who have been approved by all three professional accounting bodies.
Enrolment in any of the accounting bodies’ professional programs is independent of an individual’s participation in SMIPA or any other DIBP-approved pathway to permanent residency.
Does Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand provide the SMIPA?
No. SMIPA is overseen by the three professional accounting bodies. The program is delivered by registered providers who have been jointly approved by the three bodies.
Approved SMIPA providers
- AA Poly - Melbourne
- Accountants Resource Centre - Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra
- Australian Institute of Practical Accounting (AIPA)- Melbourne - Please note enrolments are no longer being accepted
- Australian Institute of Translation and Interpretation (AITI) - Melbourne, Adelaide
- Australian Technical and Management College (ATMC) - Melbourne, Sydney
- Education Centre of Australia (ECA) - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- Holmesglen Institute - Melbourne - Please note enrolments are no longer being accepted
- Monash Professional Pathways - Melbourne
- Navitas Professional - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth
- Open Training and Education Network (OTEN) - Sydney
- Performance Education - Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide
- Queensland International Business Academy (QIBA) - Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth, Darwin, Hobart
- Salford College - Adelaide
- Stanley College - Perth
- The University of Queensland, Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education (ICTE-UQ):Brisbane
Department of Immigration and Border Protection: http://www.border.gov.au/
Migration Agents Registration Authority: https://www.mara.gov.au/
Please note: The Professional Accounting bodies and the SMIPA Program are not associated in any way with the AIFA Professional Year Program for Bookkeepers.
Article last updated 11 November 2016