Recognised overseas accounting bodies

Members of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ) recognised overseas accounting bodies apply for membership of Chartered Accountants ANZ under special admission requirements as defined under By Law 12.

CA ANZ has reciprocity agreements with the following overseas accounting bodies:

If you are a full current financial member in good standing of one of the overseas accounting bodies listed above and you gained your membership through the normal education, professional examinations and service requirements, you may make an application for membership of the Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand. US CPA members must also demonstrate satisfactory understanding of Australian Business Law and Taxation.

Documents required to apply for Full Membership.

Certificate of Public Practice

Members who are Principals in a public accounting firm or undertake work that requires a statutory registration must demonstrate satisfactory understanding of Australian Business Law and Australian Taxation. Chartered Accountants ANZ has approved suitable courses which can be undertaken for this purpose.  
These members will have to complete this additional study so they can obtain a Certificate of Public Practice. Members of a legally constituted state authority in the USA are also required to complete a conversion course for these subjects.

How to apply

To apply for membership, download the Application for Special Admission to Membership Form and return your completed form to

In support of your application, you will also need to supply:

  • Certified copy of tertiary qualifications e.g. degree certificates and transcripts (if applicable)
  • Full résumé / CV
  • Letter of Good Standing - an original letter from your accounting body stating that you are a full current financial member in good standing (dated within three months of application received date)

At least one CA ANZ Member or recognised GAA body member reference with the requirements being:

  • The referee cannot be related to the applicant.
  • The referee has to have been a member of Chartered Accountants ANZ or recognised professional body for 3 years (recognised professional body being any professional body Chartered Accountants ANZ has a current Reciprocal Membership Agreement with).
  • Signed within 3 months of application.


At least one Professional Reference with the reference requirements being:

  • The referee cannot be related to the applicant.
  • Can testify to professional experience having employed or worked with the applicant in a professional capacity for a minimum of 12 months.
  • Signed within 3 months of application.

Written references must be original and dated within 3 months of your application submission. References should be provided on letterhead where possible.

Academic documents should either be originals or certified copies. If you post original documents, please provide a reply paid envelope.

The application fee (not subject to GST) is payable at the time of application. 

US CPA members need to provide:

ICA India members need to provide:

  • The original Letter of Good Standing – submitted with your enrolment application, valid for six months from the commencement date of your first EBA module. NB: you will only need to provide a new ‘Letter of Good Standing’ if you apply for membership after this period. The date of issue of the letter of good standing cannot be greater than 3 months old from the time of submission/enrolment into EBA. When accepted (based on the above) the letter of good standing will then be held/remain valid for 6 months.
  • One professional reference
  • One member reference

MICPA members need to provide:

What to expect after you've submitted your application

Applications for special admission to membership as defined under By Law 12 are assessed by the Assessments Team.

Special cases will take longer as more consideration is required. If your application is a special case, or if management or the Assessment Team believes that it is necessary, a brief interview will be conducted either at your local regional office or via telephone. The purpose of the interview is to gain a better understanding of your situation and experience.

You will receive confirmation in writing of the outcome of your application. If your application is successful, the appropriate pro-rata subscription amount will be required. If your application is unsuccessful, the application fee will not be refunded.

If your membership to Chartered Accountants ANZ is approved on the basis of a reciprocal membership agreement with a GAA body, you are encouraged to maintain your home membership if you are intending to return to that country, however this is not mandatory for all GAA bodies* with the exception of ICAEW.  If you are a member of a GAA Institute or a legally constituted State Authority in the United States and resident in that body's country, you have a choice as to whether you adhere to the training and development requirements of the Institute or your home body.

*ICAEW members are still required to maintain their home membership.

Article last updated 27 May 2016